Friday, March 14, 2014

The Indian team did not speak to the media before their departure for the ICC World T20 2014


March 15, 2013: The Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BCCI) Working Committee discussed Duncan Fletcher’s fate as coach of the Indian team. And without much justification or any statement, N Srinivasan, the president, announced that Zimbabwean’s contract had been extended by another year. And almost exactly a year later, Fletcher and the Indian team left for Bangladesh without the customary pre-departure press-conference. In the past one week Fletcher, the often unheard member of the Indian setup, made the headlines thanks to Sumil Gavasker The Indian legend, who is now a well known commentator, lashed out at the coach for India’s poor results in his tenure. In such a situation, Fletcher couldn’t have avoided the uneasy questions about India’s struggle under his watch.

Since December 2012, India have been appalling, some of the players have failed consistently. How does one expect the media the media to ignore it? Evading tough questions is no way of avoiding for you have to contend with them on the field. If a 0-5 Ashes losing captain faced the media, there was no why the Indian team had to avoid it before the World T20.


While we talk of Fletcher’s low profile, the BCC,s real headache lies in the ‘mystery envelope.’ As the original date (March 7, 2014) for opening that envelope (submitted by the Mudgal Committee) by the Supreme Court drew close, rumours flew thick and fast about the complicity of at least two prominent Indian players in the fixing saga. It’s only natural that the media would ask uncomfortable questions. The official press conference before Team Indian embarked on their campaign at the World T20 would never have been limited to questions on championship. This is not the first time the BCCI has stonewalled the media with silence. And it’s unlikely that it would be the last in the near future. Before India left for the ICC Champions Trophy last year, the media manager was quick to brush aside the questions over spot-fixing in the Indian Premier League (IPL). Skipper MS Dhoni kept mum!

With all that has transpired over the recent past, the board has ‘done well’ to systematically push a lid on an overflowing jar of muck. And according to the ICC press release, the captain will have to face the media in Bangladesh. Dhoni is slated to address the media on March 14 upon arrival in Dhaka. Surely, the media would be tempted to ask questions other than those related to the tournament.

According to a report by NDTV, the Indian players are forbidden from speaking to the media 40 days prior and after a series. Of course, this does not include the press conferences that take place during the tours. Considering India’s busy schedule, this is nothing but a joke. In a way, it means that the media are not supposed to access the players at all.

Hodge says `enjoying` playing T20 cricket

Sydney : Veteran Australian player Brad Hodge has said that he is enjoying playing Twenty20 cricket after guiding Australia to victory in a rain-shortened T20 clash with South Africa. The 39-year-old Hodge, who hit 21 runs off just eight balls at the death, was awarded the Man of the Match title for the clash in Durban.
According to News.com.au, Hodge said that he had fun while playing in the match, showing that he is clearly relishing what could be his last shot at international cricket, although his form with the bat suggests he could keep going for a while yet. Hodge further said that he is very grateful to be able to play T20 around the world and enjoy it, adding that this path was chosen for him as Test cricket did not work out well for him. Hodge also said that he loves cricket in its every form, adding that he just tries to be the best he can possibly be, which has worked out for him throu

`Injured` Afridi hopeful of quick recovery in time for World T20 tournament

Islamabad :  Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi has said that he is hopeful of a quick recovery from injury in time for the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh next week. Afridi hurt his groin during the recent Asia Cup tournament, in which the defending team lost the finals to Sri Lanka. According to the Express Tribune, Afridi, who will travel early next week for the World T20 cup, said that he is ‘recovering well’ and is hoping to play at least one warm-up match.
One of cricket’s hardest hitters, Afridi, helped beat Pakistan beat arch-rivals India in the Asia Cup, and the all-rounder is hopeful that the Asia Cup win over India would benefit them in the first proper match of the World T20 tournament in Dhaka on March 21, the report added. Afridi is reportedly set to miss out Pakistan’s first warm up match against New Zealand early next week.

Russel Arnold backs Kiwis, Sri Lanka as `favourites` for World T20

Colombo : Former Sri Lankan cricketer-turned TV commentator Russel Arnold has tagged New Zealand and Sri Lanka as his favourites to win the upcoming ICC World Twenty20 in Bangladesh. Sri Lanka is currently the number-one ranked T20 side, and they recently won the Asia Cup and completed a successful full tour of Bangladesh, where the latest edition of the World T20 will be hosted.
According to www.islandcricket.lk, Arnold said that he rates Sri Lanka and New Zealand were highly for the tournament, adding that Sri Lanka especially has a good chance with their success at the Asia Cup and their good performances of late. The World T20 begins on March 16, with hosts Bangladesh taking on Afghanistan in Mirpur and Hong Kong playing Nepal in Chittagong, the report added.

England hit by self-inflicted Stokes wound


London :  England all-rounder Ben Stokes will miss the forthcoming World Twenty20 tournament after breaking his hand while punching a locker during Thursday’s five-run win over West Indies.
Stokes suffered the embarrassing injury immediately after he was dismissed during the third Twenty20 international and his setback adds to England’s injury woes ahead of the Twenty20 event.
Stokes, 22, admitted the injury was a major disappointment on the eve of his country’s departure from Barbados to Bangladesh.
“I am really disappointed to be missing out on going to a World T20 with England – it was a huge error in judgement following a frustrating tour for me and I deeply regret my behaviour,” he said in an England and Wales Cricket Board statement on Friday.
“I would like to wish the team all the very best in Bangladesh.”
Stokes’ misdemeanour is not the first of his otherwise highly-promising career.
It is just 13 months since he was sent home, along with fellow all-rounder Matt Coles, from an England Lions tour of Australia after England and Wales Cricket Board management staff lost patience with the pair’s persistent late-night drinking.
Shortly before his Test debut in Adelaide last December, Stokes voiced his gratitude to England’s then team director Andy Flower for giving him a “second chance” at an international career.
He repaid the faith with his all-round performances, one of the very few bright spots for England as they endured a miserable Ashes campaign.
Joe Root, one of England’s most gifted young batsmen, has already been ruled out of the tournament, which begins in Bangladesh on Sunday, after breaking a thumb earlier in the tour of the Caribbean.
England captain Stuart Broad is also a doubt with a knee problem, while Eoin Morgan has also been hampered by a similar injury.